Economy Meals / Janta Meals for General Passengers Introduced
Indian Railway announced that Railway introduced ‘Economy Meals i.e Quality, Affordable, and Hygienic Delights for Rail Passengers. Indian Railways is dedicated to offering top-notch meals to its passengers at budget-friendly prices, and to achieve this, it has launched the innovative concept of ‘Economy Meals.’ Travellers, especially those journeying in General Coaches, can now relish two types of delectable meals.
- Meal Type – 1 : Priced at Rs. 20/- (including GST), Economy Meal – 07 poori (175 gm), Dry Aloo veg. (150 Gm) and pickle (12 gm).
- Meal Type – 2 : Priced at Rs. 50/- (including GST), Snack Meal (350 Gm) – consists of an assortment of South Indian Rice or Rajma/Chole – Rice or Khichdi or Kulche/Bhature – Chole or Pav-Bhaji or Masala Dosa.
- Drinking Water : Sealed Glass Packaged drinking water (200 ml) will be available for Rs. 3/- (including GST).
Various Zones of Indian Railway now started Economy meals, more than 50 stations across the country including Jaipur, Mathura, Asansol Jn., Kharagpur, Katihar, Dhanbad, Rourkela Jn, Rewari, Bilaspur, Virudhanagar, Bengaluru, Nagpur, Rajkot, Mumbai Central, Erode etc, and this facility will soon be available at other identified stations as well. The extended service counters of Kitchen units in Refreshment Rooms (Hrs) and Jan Aahars (JAs), operated by IRCTC (Indian Railway Tourism and Catering Service), have been designated to serve these meals at railway stations. Strategically located on the platforms near General Coaches, these service counters aim to cater to a large number of passengers efficiently. Authorized vendors will utilize these counters for storing, serving, and selling economy meals to the passengers.
List of Stations Having Economy Meals / Janta Meals
List of Stations having Economy Meals available are following.
- Central Railway : Central Railway announced on 20.07.2023 that IR will provide economy meals at Platforms near GS coaches. Meals will be supplied by Refreshment room and Jan Ahaar of IRCTC. 20/- and 50/- meals will be available in CR it will be at :- CSMT, LTT, Nagpur, Pune, Manmad, Khandwa, Bhusawal, Solapur, Kalaburagi , Shirdi Kurduvadi.
- Western Railway : Western Railway announced (on 19.07.2023) that WR has introduced a new initiative aimed at providing The Economy Meals, Snacks/Combo Meals and Packaged Drinking Water to passengers traveling in General Second Class coaches. The service will be available through extended service counters located near the General Second Class coaches at various platforms. This facility is being offered at Mumbai Central, Rajkot, Surendranagar, and Chittaurgarh stations. The service counters have been strategically placed close to the General Second Class coach locations on the platforms. This arrangement will be implemented on an experimental basis for a period of six months.
- South Central Railway : These include Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Renigunta, Augangabad and Guntakal railway stations. The initiative has already commenced operation in all the 4 stations over the Zone. Ministry of Railways has taken up this initiative to provide affordable and quality meals in adequate number for the rail passengers traveling in General Coaches. The menu also has provision of for South Indian items as well.
- South East Central Railway : Bilaspur, Raipur and Gondia Stations
- Northern Railway : New Delhi Railway Stations
- East Central Railway : Dhanbad
- Southern Railway : Virudhunagar