Kolkata Metro Rail
Kolkata is the main business, commercial and financial hub of eastern India and the northeastern states. It is also a major commercial and military port, and the only city in eastern India to have an international airport. Details of India’s First Metro i.e Kolkata Metro Rail are here.
At present, the metro system consists of three lines: the North-South Corridor comprising 26 stations, the East-West Corridor with 8 stations, and the Joka-Esplanade Corridor featuring 6 stations.
- General Rules
- ✅ Helpline Numbers
- Refund Rules
- Kolkata Metro ~ News Updates
- Kolkata Metro – Station List
- QR Code Based Ticketing System in Kolkata Metro Corridor
- Kolkata Metro Rail Smart Cards
✅ General Rules
Rules For Smart Token
- Token is meant for single journey. There is no provision for return journey token.
- Token is captured at the exit gate on completion of journey.
- Lost token is not replaced under any circumstances.
Rules For Smart Card
- The first time user will have to purchase the smart card by paying Rs.100/200/300/500 and 1000 (inclusive of Security Deposit of Rs. 60/-) and later on get the pass value recharged for any amount of Rs.100/200/300/500 & 1000, up to maximum card balance of Rs.5000/-. A 10% bonus on flat rate is given on issuing new smart card (minus SD) and further on recharging of smart card. Validity of such card is one year from the date of purchase or date of “add value”.
- A passenger is allowed to enter through the entry gate only with a minimum balance of Rs.25/-(the maximum chargeable fare).
- When a passenger tries to exit with a card without proper recorded entry in it, the passenger is not deemed to be travelling without ticket. Such a mismatch is penalized by deducting Rs.25/- from the smart card.
- In case a patron does not flash his smart card at the exit and makes an improper exit, the card is locked. The booking counter deducts the maximum chargeable fare Rs.25/- from the smart card when the same is presented in the next visit and the card is unlocked.
- Lost card is not replaced under any circumstances.
✅ Baggage Rules
BAGGAGE PERMITTED TO BE CARRIED -upto 10kgs in weight and not bulky in nature
- Any person while travelling in Metro Railway may carry only small items of personal baggage, e.g., Tiffin basket, small hand bag or attached case in addition to umbrella or walking sticks required for personal use which are not likely to cause an accident or obstruction or any inconvenience to other passengers.
ARTICLES NOT PERMITTED AS ACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE
No person shall take with him –
- Offensive articles, such as wet skin, hides, dead poultry and gore etc.
- Dangerous articles, such as- explosives of any variety including fire works, inflammable materials such as oil, grease, ghee, paint, dry grass and leaves of any variety, waste papers, acids and other corrosive substances; or
- Dead body.
✅ OFFENCE AND PENALTIES
- Any person who commits any offence of caring offensive goods or explosives or dangerous goods in violation of Rule 4 will also render himself liable for prosecution under section 8 of the Calcutta Metro Railway (operation and Maintenance) (Temporary Provisions), Act, 1985.
- Any offence referred to in sub-rule shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees for caring offensive goods and an imprisonment for a term which may extend to four years and also a fine which may extend to five thousand rupees for carrying any dangerous goods. The offender shall also be responsible for any loss, injury or damage which may be caused by reason of such goods having been brought upon the Metro Railway.
✅ Helpline Numbers
Metro Railway Helpline Numbers are here.
- Women Helpline number :- 9007041908
- Other Helpline Number :- 9007041789
- Security Helpline :- 182
- Balance amount is refunded, in case of Contactless Smart Token (CST) and Contactless Smart Card (CSC), after rounding off to the immediate lower whole number.
- CST once purchased cannot be refunded under normal circumstances if the passenger has already entered the paid area.
- Full refund is allowed at token issuing station within validity period (i.e. 45 minutes) to a token holder who has not entered the paid area.
- Beyond validity period extending upto next day, a refund of Rs.5/- is allowed on presentation of token to the booking staff.
- From 3rd day onwards Rs.2/- (for tokens of Rs.5/-) and Rs.5/- (for tokens of more than Rs.5/-) are refunded to the token holders wanting to return such tokens.
- For corrupted / unreadable CST, a new CST is issued in replacement and the commuter is allowed to complete his journey.
- For a partially used CST, no refund is granted in normal circumstances; the token is captured at the exit gate and the passenger is allowed to exit.
- In case of unusual incidents (accidents, service disruption for more than 30 minutes), full refund is granted only at the CST issuing station on the day of occurrence to the token holder in station premises including both paid and unpaid area.
- In cace of unusual incidents exceeding 30 minutes, a passenger having a partially used token is refunded 50% of the fare on the day of occurrence.
- Eligible passengers are refunded 100% and 50% respectively on the next day of unusual incident. From 3rd day onwards Rs.2/- (for tokens of Rs.5/-) and Rs.5/- (for tokens of more than Rs.5/- ) are refunded to the token holders wanting to return such tokens.
Refund of Smart Card and Student Smart Card in different scenarios:
|Only Security Deposit is refunded.
|Readability of engraved ID
|Proportionate balance amount is refunded along with Security Deposit.
|Readability of engraved ID
|Readability of engraved ID
- No refund is permissible in case engraved ID on the card is NOT clearly readable.
- No refund in tourist smart cards except Security Deposit( on presentation of card).
- Smart card of any type is not permitted any refund in case of unusual incidents.
- Smart Card for MLAs against Rail Travel Coupons (RTC). No Smart Card for Ex-MLAs.
- Break Journey: No break journey is allowed in Metro Railway, Kolkata.
- Children below the age of 5 years are allowed free travel in Metro Railway
Kolkata Metro – Station List
|Salt Lake Sector – V
|Masterda Surya Sen
|Salt Lake Stadium
|Mahanayak Uttam Kumar
|Jatin Das Park
|Mahatma Gandhi Road
The initiative had to wait for 2 decades when in 1969 the Metropolitan Transport Project was initiated. The master plan prepared by them in 1971 envisaged a network of 97.50 km consisting of three North-South corridors of which three were selected for detailed planning. These three lines were Dumdum – Tollygunge, Bidhannager – Ramrajatala and Dakshineswar – Thakurpukur.
Based on traffic studies, the Dumdum – Tollygunge corridor was first selected for implementation and work started on 29th December, 1972. On 24th October 1984, the first stretch, a length of about 3.4 km between Esplanade and Bhowanipur was completed, the first metro line in India. Over the years, others stretches on the corridor were gradually completed and some extensions were also made. This corridor was extended to New Garia as late as 2010. The people of Kolkata, enjoyed benefits of a modern metro system.
Line 1 :- North-South Metro
The North–South Metro of the Kolkata Metro is South 24 Parganas and North 24 Parganas in West Bengal. It consists of 24 operational stations from Kavi Subhash to Noapara, of which 7 are elevated, 2 are at grade and the remaining 15 are underground and 2 other elevated stations under construction with a total distance of 31 km.
Noapara – Dakshineswar : North – South Corridor of Metro Railway Extended ~ 22.02.2021
- Metro service from Dakshineswar will help passengers to enjoy pollution-free, comfortable and convenient journey
- Inauguration of 4.1 km long Metro extension from Noapara to Dakshineswar will benefit 50,000 commuters daily
- Passengers to enjoy pollution free comfortable and convenient journey
- Worshippers to conveniently visit Dakshineswar Temple
- Lift and escalators for Divyangjan and senior citizens.
The much-awaited stretch from Noapara to Dakshineswar was inaugurated by Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi by flagging off the first train from Dakshineswar on 22.02.2021. The North-South Metro is now extended beyond Noapara to Dakshineswar. This 4.1 kms of the stretch from Noapara to Dakshineswar can be covered in 10 minutes only. The commercial services will come into force with effect from 23.02.2021(Tuesday).
Line 2 :- East–West Metro
East – West Metro Upto Sealdah Metro (8th Metro Station) ~ 11.07.2022
The 8th Metro Station of East – West Metro, i.e Sealdah Metro will be inaugurated on 11.07.2022. The much awaited extension from Phoolbagan to Sealdah of East – West Metro corridor will be inaugurated and the first service will be flagged off on this stretch. This 2.33 Km extension from Phoolbagan to Sealdah has been construed at a cost of Rs.1250 Cr. Kolkata Metro’s east-west corridor extended from Phulbagan to Sialdah. Metro service will pass 33 meters below the Hooghly river.
This extended stretch is going to provide fast, easy , eco-friendly and traffic snarl free commuting to thousands of commuters. Fully Air Conditioned Sealdah Metro station is replete with modern passenger amenities like Double Discharge Platforms, Platform Screen Doors, lifts, escalators, toilets, tactile, sitting chair, more booking counters and various safety arrangements like Fire Fighting Facilities, Blue Light System, Cross Passages for emergency evacuation from one tunnel to other etc.
Kolkata Metro Line 2 (Line 2 or East-West Corridor) will connect Teghoria with Howrah via Salt Lake by going underneath the Hooghly River/Ganga in the Indian state of West Bengal. It would consist of 17 stations from Teghoria (Haldiram) in the east to Howrah Maidan in the west, of which 11 would be elevated and 6 would be underground, with a total distance of 22 km.
East-West Metro Commencement of Trial Run Up to Sealdah ~ 31.07.2021
Kolkata Metro announced that Metro Railway plans to extend East-West Metro services up to Sealdah by partially operating Sealdah station (East Bound line only). This section will add another 2.33 Kms and one station (Sealdah) in 6.97 Kms already being operated in East-West Metro corridor from Salt Lake Sector-V to Phoolbagan. Integrated trial of systems is prerequisite for getting mandatory clearance from Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) to start the revenue services in the Metro corridor.
This trial has commenced from 31.07.2021 and the complete trial and review by ISA will take approximately 03 months time. Shri Manoj Joshi, General Manager, Metro Railway, Shri Manas Sarkar, Managing Director, senior officers of Metro Railway, and Directors of Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation Ltd (KMRCL) witnessed the commencement of the trial. Like earlier sections, this trial will check all systems before starting the revenue service. once the trial is concluded and certification from ISA received, Metro Railway will take further action for commencement of services up to Sealdah.
After reaching Sealdah, Shri Joshi inspected the platforms, concourse, entry and exit gates, circulating area, lifts, escalators and other passenger amenities which will be provided at this station.
East-West Metro Services Extended Upto Phoolbgan ~ 04.10.2020
Railway Minister inaugurated Phoolbagan Metro station of East-West Metro on 4th October 2020. Shri Piyush Goyal also flagged off the first train from the newly inaugurated Phoolbgan station through video link. Shri Goyal said that this extension of services from Salt Lake Stadium to Phoolbagan (a stretch of 1.665 kms) will be a great help for the commuters more so because of its proximity to Sealdah station. Terming this as a gift for Durga Puja, he also said that Metro provides the safest, cleanest and fastest transportation system in Kolkata. Shri Babul Supriyo, Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change congratulated Hon’ble Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry for taking the initiative to commission this modern and beautiful Phoolbagan Metro station so early. He expressed his hope that in the coming day’s people will be able to commute to and from Sealdah station easily due to this extension of East-West Metro.
The total length of this project is 16.5 km and the total estimated project cost is Rs. 8574.98 Cr. This will connect Howrah on the West bank of the River Hooghly with Salt Lake City on its East bank. The first phase of the East-West Metro from Salt Lake Stadium to Salt Lake Sector V was inaugurated by Shri Piyush Goyal on 13th February 2020.
- Commercial services to and from Phoolbagan station will start from 05.10.2020 (Monday).
- Daily 48 services will run from 08:00 hrs to 19:50 hrs from Salt Lake Sector-V to Phoolbagan at 30 minutes interval.
- The last service will start from Salt Lake Sector-V and Phoolbagan stations at 19:30 hrs.
- There will be no service on Sunday.
Kolkata East – West Metro Route Map
Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal flagged off the first phase of the East-West corridor of the mass transport network on Thursday (13.02.2020). The East-West corridor will be operational for commuters Friday (14.02.2020) onwards.
The first phase of the Kolkata Metro Rail East-West Metro corridor is connecting the Sector V of Salt Lake, the IT hub of the city, with the Salt Lake Stadium in the area, covering a 5.3km long stretch. The commercial services connecting six overground stations – Sector V, Karunamoyee, Central Park, City Centre, Bengal Chemical and Salt Lake Stadium stations, began on Friday morning.
|Station to Station
|Station to Station
|Howrah Maidan to Howrah
|Salt Lake Stadium to Bengal Chemical
|Howrah to Mahakaran
|Bengal Chemical to City Center
|Mahakaran to Esplanade
|City Center to Central Park
|Esplanade to Sealdah
|Central Park to karunamoyee
|Sealdah to Phool Bagan
|Karunamoyee to Salt lake Sector v
|Phool Bagan to Salt Lake Stadium
Brief: Phase I of East-West Metro
East – West Metro is a 16.5 kms long stretch which connects Howrah on the West bank of River Hooghly with Salt Lake city on the East bank. The project is being executed by Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited (KMRCL). 10.8 kms of the stretch is underground and 5.75 kms will be on elevated viaduct. It is India’s first ever transportation project where trains will ply under the mighty river, Hooghly. This project will be immensely helpful in easing the traffic congestion of Kolkata – a 300 years old city and also in reducing vehicular pollution. Phase-I of East – West Metro which was inaugurated today is a 5.3 kms long stretch having 6 elevated stations.
✅ Kolkata Metro Rail : Features of the Project
- The first ever transportation tunnel under any river in India.
- Platform Screen Doors to prevent accidents or intentional fall.
- Communication Based Train Control System (CBTC) having enhanced safety features like anti- collision and automatic train control mechanism.
- Passenger friendly features like lifts, escalators, concept of barrier free movement, designated parking for differently-abled, State of the art absorptive type noise barriers provided near hospitals/schools to reduce the train generated noise for comfort of the public.
- Estimated budget for Phase- I is Rs 2431 Cr. out of the total project cost of Rs 8574.98 Cr.
- Emergency Announcement and Fire Detection Mechanism in all coaches.
Line 3 :- Joka–Esplanade Metro
It is a line of the Kolkata Metro Rail , that of 2019 is still under construction. The route spans 14.215 kilometres (8.833 mi) from Joka in the south, to Esplanade in the north with an extension of 2 km to Diamond Park from Joka. It will connect Kolkata Metro Line 1 at Park Street in central Kolkata and run in parallel up to Esplanade in central Kolkata where it will connect Kolkata Metro Rail Line 2 also. Line 3 is being built by Rail Vikas Nigam Limited.
Line 4 :- Noapara–Barasat Metro
The Line 4 or Noapara – Barasat Line of the Kolkata Metro Rail is an 16.876 km long metro route from Noapara to Barasat in North 24 Parganas, which is under construction.
Line 5 :- Baranagar–Barrackpore Metro
The Baranagar to Barrackpore Metro (Line 5) (12.40 km) in North 24 Parganas was planned to enable a quicker commute from the northeastern suburbs to North Kolkata.
Line 6 :- Kavi Subhash–Biman Bandar Metro
Line 6 of the Kolkata Metro Rail will connect New Garia with Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport via two satellite towns Salt Lake and New Town. There will be total of 24 stations. The line is targeted to open from Kavi Subhash to Hemanta Mukherjee in 2021
Kolkata Metro Rail Smart Cards
QR Code Based Ticketing System in Kolkata Metro Corridor
QR Code based ticketing system has been introduced in E-W Metro corridor from 04.12.2021. It will be introduced in N-S Metro corridor soon.Please follow these steps to book your QR Code based Metro ticket comfortably at your convenience.
Process to Book QR Code Based East – West Metro Ticket through Mobile App
- Download Metro Ride Kolkata App from Google Play Store
- New user sign up with valid credentials (1st Time only)
- Log in with valid ID and Password
- Keep your “Location” on
- Go to “Booking”
- Got to “Book QR Ticket”
- Select Ticket Type, source station and Destination station
- Book Ticket
- Make payment via Net Banking (SBI and all Major banks), Debit Card/Credit Card (SBI and Major banks), Rupay, Maestro, Master Card, Visa card or UPI
- After successful payment, “QR Code” will be generated
- Show your generated QR Code to the scanner of AFC – PC gate for ‘Entry’ and ‘Exit’
Metro’s Smart Card to Cost Rs. 150/- from 01.06.2023
Metro Railway, Kolkata announced that due to the shortage of changes and inability of commuters to tender exact fares, it has been decided to increase the minimum Metro Smart Card value from present Rs. 120/- to Rs. 150/- from 1st June, 2023 (Thursday). Security deposit of the Smart Card will remain same i.e. Rs. 80/-. But the ride value will increase from present Rs. 40/- to Rs. 70/-. Metro authorities add 10% valueto this ride value of Metro Smart Card. As a result, from 1st, June 2023 if a Metro commuter purchases a Smart Card at the cost of Rs. 150/- he/she will get Rs. 77/- instead of present Rs. 44/- as the ride value. Recharge values of the Smart Card will remain unchanged.
This decision will help to address this problem being faced at the booking counters of the Metro stations and Metro commuters will be benefited from it.This is applicable only for NEW SMART CARD, not of old one. In order to make the commuters aware about this change of Metro Smart Card value, frequent announcements are being made at all Metro stations. Notifications are also on display at Metro booking counters of all stations.
New Look of Kolkata Metro Smart Cards
Kolkata Metro Rail announced that Metro Railway has started to issue new look Smart Cards from today (i.e on 30.01.2022). Metro entered into an agreement with the private hospital of the city for smart cared branding in the last year i.e 2021. As a part of that agreement, Smart Cards with this new look, have been made available at all booking counters of North-South and East-West Metro corridors.
Kolkata Metro : Re-Introduction of Smart Tokens in Metro from 01.02.2022
Kolkata Metro Railway announced that keeping in view the demand from Metro users, Metro Railway , Kolkata has decided to issue Smart Tokens from 01.02.2022.
These tokens will be available at all North-South and East -West Metro counties as well as Automatic Smart Card Recharge Machines (ASCRM).
It would not be out of place to mention here that token sanitiser machines are already installed at all Metro Railway stations. Tokens get sanitised through Ultra Violet Ray sanitizing Machines in 04 minutes time only. In the crowded stations 02 such token sanitising machines have been put in use.
Kolkata Metro Smart Cards ~ Mobile Application
Railway announced that the much-awaited App for recharging Metro smart cards can now be downloaded from Google Playstore on your android phone. This mobile app has been developed to facilitate online recharge of Smart Cards and provide useful information regarding our services to the users. This Mobile app is completely developed by Metro Railway, Kolkata itself. We are the 17th Zone of Indian Railways under Ministry of Railways, Govt. of India.